Jun 232015
 

I removed the battery from the main Q*bert PCB, and it took me ages to get all the components off as some had rusted or had corroded quite badly, or the solder pads were completely missing. Anyway, once the components in the affected area were removed, it was time to neutralise the alkaline from the battery and see how things where.

So this is where I am with the parts side of the PCB:

and here is the solder side:

I wasn’t really sure where to start with the filter PCB, But after chatting with a few people it seems like it is not really needed, and was a bit of overkill with regulations in the US. It is also a source of many problems as you can see by the burnt bits on my PCB.

So it’s more than likely I will bypass this, which is good news!

Anyway I thought what the heck, I’ll try and sort it out. So firstly I removed all the crap that someone had previously done to it. Cleaned up the board as best as I could, and then assessed where the broken tracks were etc. It didn’t take me as long as I thought to get some new connectors on and bridge where the damage was. I think I did an ok job 🙂

I tried a number of methods to get the tracks useable on the PCB, but I ended up taking a few back to copper as they were badly damaged with corrosion and had no continuity. A number of the pads were damaged and there were some plating issues to deal with, especially around the sockets

The end result is not pretty but the PCB has been repopulated and continuity is now good everywhere. As long as it works I’m not too fussed about how it looks. I think it was the best I could do in an already bad situation:

Next steps are to work on a Jamma adapter to power this up on a switcher, to see if it has any life.