Jun 232015
 

Not posted on here for almost three months but I have been very busy with trying to get the Q*bert cabinet working.

I managed to bag the cabinet in Oct 2014, and got it delivered at the beginning of March this year. The plan was to get the game actually working before starting on any cosmetic challenges it had.

So I started to have a look at it over the Easter bank holiday weekend. First thing I noticed was that the original knocker was there. That was good! But then I started to notice the not so good 🙁

The line filter PCB had all of its connectors disconnected, and I could see that it had been quite badly burnt in the past, and someone had replace some of the connector pins by drilling out the holes of the connector and threading wire through. What’s worse is that these cables were then simply twisted together!

There was no way I could power this thing up in its current state. Here’s some closeup on the nice hack job:

So I decided to disconnect the filter board, untwist the cables, and have a look on the solder side, as I could see things didn’t look good. I was actually quite shocked how someone tried to repair this. Never seen anything like it:

So I put this to one side. And took a gander at the main PCB. Oh dear, there is battery leakage!

So before anything else I need to get the battery and corroded components off the board to assess the damage.