Space Invaders Part II Fixed!

 Space Invaders Part II  Comments Off on Space Invaders Part II Fixed!
Oct 262014
 

This arcade machine has been causing me problems for a while. Two years infact! But finally it is fixed!

The monitor failed just before Play Expo 2012, and has been out of action since. Looking at the monitor chassis (a CM-R14) in June, I noticed that some of the tracks on the surface side looked potentially damaged, but I wasn’t sure if this was the problem or not.

Anyway moving to October 2014, I managed to find a monitor expert to look at the chassis, and a fellow arcade collector to provide a compatible tube to the expert, and the outcome is a working Space Invaders Part II as seen in the video below:

Space Invaders Fixed!

Space Invaders II – We have a problem pt. 3

 Space Invaders Part II  Comments Off on Space Invaders II – We have a problem pt. 3
Jan 132014
 

I spent some time at the weekend building an adaptor for my Space Invaders Part II. The idea was that this would confirm whether the PCB or monitor or both has a fault. Instead of outputting the video to the cabinet monitor, I sent it to a Commodore 1084S monitor and this was the result:

Space Invaders Part II Problems

Space Invaders II – We have a problem pt. 2

 Space Invaders Part II  Comments Off on Space Invaders II – We have a problem pt. 2
Oct 192013
 

Ok so not really part 2, because it still has a problem but the new power PCB rebuild seems to have gone well.

Voltages are good on the gameboard and it sounds like the PCB is starting, but I cannot play the game blind. So there is either a PCB fault or the PCB is semi working but there is no sound.

I hooked up the monitor and am still getting the following:

Space Invaders Problem

Space Invaders Problem

So I will build an adaptor to output the video of the Space Invaders to a Commodore 1084-D monitor so I can see what is going on.

Likewise I may be able to feed another RGB signal into the monitor to confirm if that is working or not

Jan 012013
 

IMG00001-20130101-1304

Replaced all the capacitors (tantalum, electro, axial), bridge rectifiers, regulators, 555 timer with new socket, and diodes on a Space Invaders part II power PCB.

The documents I found were slightly wrong, as certain components were listed incorrectly and in wrong positions, so I’ve attached an updated verison based on my own findings.

Taito_AA017741 (76 downloads)