Mr.Do! Finished!

 Mr.Do  Comments Off on Mr.Do! Finished!
Apr 262014
 

I’ve spent the last day trying to finish my Electrocoin Midi Mr.Do! arcade cabinet.

First up was applying the artwork onto the control panel. Considering that I’ve never done this before I think I made a fairly decent effort of it. Obviously I made a slight error as the bottom left does not quite match the bottom right, but I can live with it 🙂

Control Panel Front

Secondly I rebuilt the control panel, cleaning up the screws, washers, and nuts as I went along. I replaced the leaf buttons as the original ones were damaged. But kept with the same joystick, apart from washing it and applying new microswitches. I did the same with the Player 1 and Player 2 buttons.

Control Panel Back

I then tested out the wiring and made a few minor changes due to simple mistakes, and added a ground onto the control panel for safety.

I had a look at the left coin mech that wasn’t working. It’s missing a credit board, so I’ll leave it as it is. The wiring has been cut all over the place so it was difficult to work out what was going on , so I utilised the 12v that was coming off one of the connectors to get the lights lit up. At least one of the mechs is working ok.

I then cleaned the paint speckles off the left side with a magic eraser and centred the screen on the monitor. I think I’m pretty done with this now. Not perfect, but at a fairly decent standard now. Might have a few games on Mr.Do! this evening 🙂

Mr.Do! Finished!

Mr.Do almost finished

 Mr.Do  Comments Off on Mr.Do almost finished
Apr 232014
 

Well the good news is that after applying a new layer of insulating varnish on the monitor, it appears that it is no longer arcing! I had the monitor powered up for a good 10 minutes or so, and there were no obvious issues.

So I’ve put the monitor back in the cabinet, made a few adjustments, and the picture is looking pretty good!

I’ve also put the smoked glass, and reproduction monitor bezel back on, and it’s starting to take shape:

Mr.Do Nearly Complete

There’s a few things that still need attention:

  • New artwork needs to be applied to the control panel
  • The control panel needs rebuilding – screws need cleaning, buttons need replacing
  • The first coin mech and bulb are not working so that needs attention
  • There are still a few paint marks on the side of the cabinet so they need removing
  • The rubber matting on the bottom of the cab needs replacing
  • MTC9000 arcing

     Mr.Do  Comments Off on MTC9000 arcing
    Apr 182014
     

    I’ve been trying to get an MTC9000 monitor working for my Mr.Do cabinet, but have issues with it arcing.

    I’ve removed the monitor and can see that the insulated area around the anode is pretty damaged:

    Anode Damage

    As it’s a pretty sunny day outside I thought I would try and repair this problem using some high voltage insulating varnish. This stuff is pretty nasty, so I wanted to do this in the fresh air with gloves, mask and goggles on.

    Hopefully when this is cured in 24 hrs, my issues with this CRT will be resolved. I hope so, as there is zero screen burn on this monitor.

    Then I just need to get the chassis sorted 🙁

    Vs. Ice Climber Mystery

     Nintendo Vs  Comments Off on Vs. Ice Climber Mystery
    Apr 082014
     

    Vs. Ice Climber has been a problem for me for a while. I had a working VS board, PPU, and CPU, but could I get Ice Climber to work? No!

    Anyway, after spending a bit of time looking at this I’ve made some progress and now have the game working!

    The problem seems to be that if I burned the roms found in the mame rom set “iceclimb” I would get a purple screen, and nothing else, whichever side of the PCB I put the roms on. The roms in that set were:

    mds-ic4-4 b.6a
    mds-ic4-4 b.6b
    mds-ic4-4 b.6c
    mds-ic4-4 b.6d
    mds-ic4-4 b.8a
    mds-ic4-4 b.8b

    What’s odd is that this set works fine in Mame!

    The trick to get this working on a Vs. PCB is to use 8a and 8b from this set, then use the four roms found in rom set “iceclimba”. These roms are:

    mds-ic4-4.1a
    mds-ic4-4.1b
    mds-ic4-4.1c
    mds-ic4-4.1d

    Populate the board with the roms in the correct locations and voila, we have a working game!